Thursday, January 7, 2010

Standard Time

I can't stop thinking about this amazing performance by dutch artist, Mark Formanek.

The 24 hour performance consists of 70 workers who move planks 1611 times in a 4 x 12 meter space. Watch a 3 minute segment here.

I love the extraordinary length that these workers go through to achieve such a simple task, telling the time. The amount of time and labour that the workers put into the simple task of telling time makes us watch with wonder. Makes me stop and and appreciate that thing, time itself, that seems so fleeting! I can hardly believe its the end of the first week of January. I have a huge to-do list, and so so little time to finish everything...urgh! I really thought I'd have some time to stretch my wings and make tons of stuff, but I'm scrambling. Its nice to visualize time and just appreciate it for a few minutes..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well put..