Friday, June 12, 2009

UWM Studio - pretty much done and looking AMAZING





Last August I started posting images of the UWM Kenilworth Metals studio and how excited I was to be the first metals student in there. So, now it has been a year and with a little elbow grease, a grant and whole lot of expertise, this studio has never looked better. There is an amazing selection of raising equipement, large drillpresses, rolling mill, shears, ultrasonic, ring sizer, annealing torches, two different enameling kilns, lathe, and all kinds of wonderful tools now housed in Kenilworth. I am really blown away at how fast this year went by, and setting up this studio was such a wonderful experience. Now we gotta break these tools in!

The great thing is that I am going to have studio mates next year. Jason Houchen is a mixed media artist who creates relief paintings and sculptures, commonly made of wood, which are then burned in a process he calls "pyrography," which my friend John would love, because he's a bit of a pyro too. The work seems interesting, intricate, detailed and spiritual, which are some of my favorite things, so I'm sure he'll fit right in.


Jason Houchen
"I will fight no more forever"


Stacey Lee Webber will also be in the space next year, not as a student, but invited to teach for at least one year. I've met Stacey a few times and can't wait to have her on the Milrockee team next year. The work is beautifully made, and I believe she will add a valuable facet to our team.


Stacey Lee Webber

I'm off to Boston! More on that soon....

No comments: