Monday, September 20, 2010

Henrique Oliveira

These are so of my favorite images this week! Henrique Oliveira is a Brazilian artist who uses reclaimed wood to create large wooden amorphous installations. To me, these installations look like the body. I see fat bellies, organs, and breasts. I LOVE this work.

Oliveira finds his reclaimed wood, which he calls Tapumes, which is the portugese word for this thrown out wood and also the name of this series, then he tints the wood, bends it and shapes it into these forms. It is very lovely to look at in the images. I'd love to see it in person, but I bet I couldn't resist touching it!

In one of his more recent works the installations are starting to seep out of the building. How very, very cool.

Tapumes
2008
Galerie Vallois, Paris



Tapumes
2009
Rice Gallery, Houston


Tapumes
2006
Sao Paulo Cultural Center


Artist preparing wood for installation


Pit
2008
Object


Tapumes - Casa dos Leoes
2009
VII Bienal do Meroscul, Porto Alegre

No comments: