Sunday, February 28, 2010

UW Oshkosh, Textural Patois and Susie Ganch: Bits and Pieces





Last week I traveled up to Oshkosh to visit the metals lab at UW-Oshkosh, meet Jessica Calderwood, see the 2010 National Juried Exhibition: Textural Patois at the Allen Priebe Gallery and see Susie Ganch's lastest work at the Annex Gallery.

Whew! What a whirlwind day. Myself, Stacey Lee Webber and 7 undergraduate metals students traveled up in two cars and got a chance to wander around the campus before the lecture and show closing events. What a great campus. We wandered around for a while since some of the events were cancelled. We did get to take a look at the metals studio, which was small but still packed with huge amount of tools and space to work. Everything was so clean, Jessica admitted it HAS to stay that way in such a small space. I thought it was still a really great space, and I would love to work in it! I especially loved the big open room where everyone had a really nice bench to work on.

The show looked great! I wasn't able to take any pictures of the work, however I did pick up this postcard they printed which has images of all the work on it. Very hard to see individual pictures though. I hope the gallery will put some images up online.


Susie Ganch's work looked so great all by itself in the Annex Gallery. I love how her work has shifted from its roots in jewelry to more sculptural/installation based work but still references the body. I really enjoyed hearing her talk about how she would like viewers to interact with the work as she walked around the gallery explaining each piece. I'm not sure if I have ever heard her talk about her work before, so it was a real treat, and it only makes me love the work even more. Here is the e postcard for the show with Susie's newest piece on it:


This is the biggest piece she has ever made, and no sooner than she said she wouldn't go much bigger, she took it back and said she wants to keep going and going and getting bigger. I'm excited to see what she comes out with next. Thank you to everyone for an excellent trip!

No comments: