Sunday, September 6, 2009

Ernst Haeckel


Ernst Haeckel was a German biologist, philosopher and artist who was responsible for identifying new species of life forms during his life between 1834-1919. He is also responsible for an amazing library of illustrations which present a variety of the species that he loved. There are several collections of illustrations which he composed from plants to sea creature to organisms only able to be seen with the assistance of a microscope. I ran across his illustrations on this website and I am totally in love. I remember now that I saw one of his books over the summer at the Harvard Museum of Natural History, and I really really wanted it, but couldn't afford it at the time. BUT now, its all mine. I will eat peanut butter and macaroni and cheese all week so I can have this wonderful book as a new addition to my library. It actually is pretty inexpensive on amazon, which is one of my favorite places online. And seeing as how I order books so often that I am a prime member (free shipping..yeah!!) I can get it for pretty cheap, which is nice. I'm really glad I've run across it now too as I am planning the work I will be making for this year, I think these illustrations will be really helpful. Look at how intricate the line work is...amazing.

No comments: