Sunday, October 19, 2008

Untitled#1 (Heavy Heart)




This weekend went just wonderfully. Mira was able to come in and wear the heavy stylized heart that I made. When I first came to Milwaukee, I left behind everything I was comfortable with for the amazing opportunity to push myself further in my field. After living with my boyfriend (now fiance) for 5 years, I was quite uncomfortable with the feelings of longing I had when I moved here and he moved to Evanston, IL to start his master's program. In making the piece over the last month, I have learned how to deal with my feelings better, and keep myself busy so I don't have too much time to think about it, but it was so nice to see the piece come together. Even if I have learned to deal with my feelings better and may not feel as sad as I was once about the distance between us, I feel like this is something that many people can relate to, and therefore the piece is successful.



I also was able to bring together another piece that really was a last minute production but was fun. I was hoping to have enough latex tubing to make the ball of tubes REALLY large, but I just couldn't afford it. I had no idea that latex tubing was so expensive. Well, I constructed this ball of tubes, veins, feelings, emotions, and it is 150 feet of tubing, but if I was able to get 900 feet of tubing for the same price, that may have been better for what I was going for. Christof was able to wear the piece for me so I could document it and I feel like it was successful.

No comments: